Tuesday 25 October 2011

Distractedly, absent...

I must admit, I have been non-too-inspired with blogging lately - the cause of this? The discovery of a fantastic new blogger - an Australian "chick" by the name of Sarah Wilson!  I've written about my love of how blogging can connect you to people all over the world, but Sarah's blog has had a profound impact upon me since I "stumbled upon it" just over a week ago and i've been glued to it ever since.

Sarah isn't your average blogger, she has somewhat a "celebrity" status in Australia via various media outlets (although, i'm afraid to say I hadn't heard of her until just last week), and her blog, as you will see, is a journey of discovery - of the soul, body and mind. 

In short, Sarah used to live a high-powered, high-activity life in Sydney, until she discovered she had Hashimoto's (an auto-immune disease).  So in a drastic turn of events Sarah was forced to stop, drop everything and prioritise her health.  For the past couple of years, Sarah has been on a journey of wellness, finding the delicate balance in all aspects of her life to be healthy, and ultimately, happy.

Reading through Sarah's blog, it was interesting to see my own reaction to her story - I don't think it's a massive secret that i've been feeling quite uneasy with life of late, so to read through Sarah's posts to find someone who has similar thoughts, feelings and health issues as me is incredibly enlightening.  Which has made me realise that in a lot of ways I have lost a certain connection to my old "self", which I now realise is down to living in a hectic, toxic city like London. 

You see, i've always been more of a holistic, down-to-earth, nature-loving, chilling-at-the-beach, soaking-up-the-sun type of girl - and growing up in Queensland, I was free to do this as I pleased as all of the above were within such easy reach.  But i've been living in London for nearly 5 years now, and the closest i've come to "nature" in this time has been a couple of trips home to Australia and very memorable (yet short and long-ago) trip to the Amalfi coast a couple of years back.  For the most part, i've been living in a concrete jungle, working 9-5, becoming unwell, and rarely getting the opportunity to get back to nature, and ultimately, myself.

So I guess what i'm trying to say, is that Sarah has inspried me to reconnect with myself, take a good hard look and start changing the things that are bringing negative energy into my life and finding ways to improve these.  I'm not sure if i'm quite ready to take on her 8-week sugar free program (although maybe sometime in the near future I will be), but there is a LOT of information on Sarah's blog that is giving me the power to realise I can improve my "London" life for the time being.  Ultimately, I would still be on the first plane home to Australia, but alas, that's not where my life is right now, so until that day, I must embrace the here and the now.

My action plan:

1. Experiment with an Ayurvedic "Vata" diet (which "type" are you - take the test here)
2. Explore Ayurveda further via Deepak Chopra's book - Perfect Health
3. Start to change out toxic beauty products with safe, natural products (a visit to Wholefoods for this)
4. Learn to meditate
5. Start a yoga class (as soon as my back is better)

Something else i've taken from Sarah's blog is the discovery of being a SCANNER.  I had heard this term before, but never really knew exactly what it meant - I do now.  And with that in mind, I would like to tell you to "stay tuned" to my progress, but I guess i'm not quite sure how long this new motivation will last - I would like to think that it is life changing, but I guess you never know!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post. I too want to find the balance to be my best even when my surroundings aren't ideal. Good luck with your journey! :)

    ReplyDelete