Saturday 26 November 2011

Gluten-Free Vegetarian Quiche



So I threw this little gem together for dinner tonight.  I've been wanting to attempt gluten-free pastry for a while and I had a leek in the fridge that needed using so I concocted this deliciousness.

For the pastry:

200g Gluten Free Plain (All-purpose flour)
100g Butter
6 tablespoons water

Using fingers or a fork, combine the flour and butter until it resembles breadcrumbs.  Add the water and mix until it forms a kind of dough (this only takes a couple of minutes).  Roll the pastry between 2 pieces of cling film (as much as you can - I didn't manage this too well, but I think the pastry is too "wet" to roll on a dry surface).  Press into a quiche tin and blind bake for 10 minutes or so.

For the filling:

This is entirely up to you - use whatever veges you like, or have in the fridge.  I used the following:

1 small onion
1 leek
A handful of broccoli (chopped small)
Half a red pepper
Half a block of feta (cut into squares)
Handful of grated cheddar
Salt & Pepper

For the cream mixture

300ml cream (I only had double cream so I thinned it with a little milk)
3 eggs

Saute the vegetables until soft (don't forget to add salt & pepper!) and spread over the base, add the feta. Pour the cream mixture over the veges and then sprinkle with the cheese.

Cook for 30-45 minutes until brown and set firm in the middle.  (The pastry should also have come away from the edge of the tin).  Leave to cool and set slighty for 5-10 minutes, then don't delay, eat while fresh and warm!

Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment