Tuesday 8 November 2011

Gluten Free

I've been really concentrating on what food i've been putting into my body lately, after the discovery of Ayurveda and essentially following a Paleo Diet.  One of the biggest things i've been conscious of is limiting my gluten intake - which means no bread, no cakes, no pasta... NOOOO!!!!  Sounds awful, but actually i'm finding it quite manageable.  And hot tip - that full bloated feeling you have after eating a big bowl of pasta - non-existent with gluten free!


Tonight's dinner for example, was a lovely pasta bake, made with gluten free pasta that I honestly couldn't even notice the difference. 


So i've been desperately wanting to try Emily K's Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread recipe which I discovered on her blog not so long ago.  I figure that as soon as I start discovering some yummy alternatives to some of my beloved treats, this new eating style won't be so difficult to stick to!


Well, i've just pulled this out of the oven and it is TO DIE FOR! Lovely and moist and gorgeously spiced - especially lovely with the festive season approaching :)


So, what did I do?  Essentially I used the exact same recipe, but instead of the Crisco/Butter, I substituted pure Coconut Oil.  I also used a little extra pumpkin, as the gluten free flour mix I used (Doves Farm) recommends using more liquid.






Preheat oven to 350 degrees [approx 180 celcius]



[I used a square cake tin as I don't have a loaf tin]
Whisk together in a bowl:
1 1/2 cup gluten-free flour
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon baking powder



[instead of the nutmeg, cloves, ginger - I used the same measurement of mixed spice]
Mix in a small bowl:
1 1/3 cup almond milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla [I used vanilla paste]

In a large bowl, add
6 tablespoons butter flavored crisco [I used Coconut Oil]
Gradually add and beat on high until lightened:
1 cup white sugar and 1/3 cup brown sugar
Add in one at a time 2 eggs.
Add 1 cup pumpkin puree. [I used an extra tablespoon or so for moisture]

Mix until just combined.

Add flour mixture in three parts, alternating with milk mixture in two parts on low speed.
Scrape into prepared loaf pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. 



Post Note:  I've found the next day that the cake isn't quite as spicy as when first out of the oven and also has quite a strong taste due to the almond milk.  If dairy isn't an issue for you, I would recommend substituting back normal butter and milk and I personally would add more spice (but this may be because I used a mixed spice, rather than individual spices).

No comments:

Post a Comment